Diversity & Inclusion Thought Leadership with Margaret Ochieng #017
Nick Day from JGA HR Recruitment is joined on the HR L&D Podcast by Margaret Ochieng who is a Business Psychologist, a Diversity & Inclusion consultant and founder at “The Inclusive Village”, where she designs workplace solutions that enable people and organisations to adopt “a village culture approach to inclusion”.
I met with Margaret at a recent Recruitment and Diversity event hosted by CIPD London where both Margaret and I were invited to form part of the expert panel. I loved her thought leadership approach to diversity and inclusion, which is why I was delighted that she was happy to join me for a more detailed conversation on this podcast.
Margaret’s approach to D&I helps individuals and organisations to identify and remove barriers to inclusion, performance and creativity posed by silos, “clans” and “tribes” that often emerge explicitly or implicitly in social groups including workplaces.
As part of the “village spirit”, Margaret is also organising a fantastic event for women who want to be game-changers in March! Stay tuned to find out more about that later on in the podcast…
In this “Diversity & Inclusion Thought Leadership“ episode of the HR L&D Podcast with Margaret Ochieng we discover:
- What led Margaret to become a champion for encouraging businesses to deliver more inclusive talent assessment, selection and leadership processes
- How can organisations create inclusive and human-centric work environments where everyone has a fair chance to thrive?
- Why organisations should not be looking or candidates that are a “culture fit”. Let’s evolve organisational cultures!
- Are getting better or worse from a D&I front perspective?
- What does D&I Research tell us
- How can we build resilience against “diversity fatigue” and why building a village approach can help.
- Why we must eliminate corporate checkbox systems and replace them with a way of life in the workplace that promotes inclusion
- The most important insights in relation to D&I as it is now within businesses
- The three pioneering and inspiring people Margaret would love to share a dinner party with – and why!
- Some immediately implementable D&I actions you can immediately implement after listening to this podcast?
- Why it is important to be curious about the status quo in your organisation
- How you can ask questions that will keep the D&I conversation open
- The journey that led Margaret to remove the “impossible” from her vocabulary!
- Why you should attend the “A Million Dreams Game Changers Event“ being hosted by Margaret in March, which has been designed to help women to make big leaps in 2020 and beyond!
To find out more about Matt Somers and the links referred to in this “Coaching Skills for HR Managers” episode of the HR L&D Podcast are highlighted below:
- Website: https://www.inclusivevillage.com/
- A game changers’ event: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-million-dreams-welcome-to-a-game-changers-event-tickets-90149996065
- Margaret Ochieng Blog Article referred to in this episode: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-do-i-really-want-rest-my-life-million-dreams-margaret-ochieng/
- Margaret Ochieng’s LinkedIn Profile: Margaret Ochieng
- The Women Who Run with the Wolves – A Book referred to by Margaret in this podcast.
- human-centred workplace and the “box” we fit in…it originates from the work: Weiss, H., & Rupp, D. (2011). Experiencing work: An essay on person-centric work psychology. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 4(01), 83-97.
Coco Fusco – Wikipedia & Guillermo Gomez-Pena – Wikipedia (both referred to by Nick Day on this podcast episode)
- JGA HR recruitment Services (HR & Payroll Recruitment Services)
- Nick Day – [email protected] (Contact the HR L&D Podcast Host)
- Nick Day: Linkedin Profile
Subscribe the HR L&D Podcast: Apple Podcasts| Android | Email | Soundcloud | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
A word from the host, Nick Day…
If you have an HR recruitment requirement that needs the assistance of a niche HR recruiter – please get in touch with me.
As well as playing the host of The HR L&D Podcast, I am also Managing Director of JGA HR Recruitment.
As an HR boutique recruiter, we focus on quality, not quantity and we place all levels of HR professional from HR Advisors through to Global HR Directors.
If you have read this far (or if you have listened to my HR L&D Podcasts), then I hope you know that when it comes to HR Search, I am absolutely committed to providing all of my clients and candidates with a world-class HR consultancy service. I am extremely passionate about raising the profile of HR and L&D and I would love the opportunity to work with you.
So, if you have an HR-related vacancy that requires the support of a genuine HR recruitment specialist. Contact me today on [email protected] / 01727 800 377
In the meantime, please also check out our free expert-level HR whitepapers or find out more by visiting us at www.jgarecruitment.com
I can’t wait to partner with you!
Tel: 01727 800 377.
Email [email protected]