This will act as a guide, and you may have specific requirements that relate to your business and sector.
Below is a list of key duties we’d expect to see when putting together a job description for a Senior Payroll Administrator
Senior Payroll Administrator
As a Senior Payroll Administrator, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing the end-to-end payroll processes for our UK employees. Your primary focus will be on ensuring accurate and timely payroll processing, compliance with statutory regulations, and providing guidance to junior payroll staff. This role requires a strong understanding of UK payroll legislation, attention to detail, and the ability to handle complex payroll scenarios. You will play a key role in maintaining payroll accuracy and providing exceptional service to our employees.
- Manage the end-to-end payroll process for UK employees, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of payments.
- Calculate and process statutory deductions, including income tax, National Insurance contributions, and pension contributions.
- Stay updated with UK payroll legislation and compliance requirements, ensuring adherence to all relevant regulations.
- Oversee the administration of employee pension schemes, including enrolment, contributions, and liaison with pension providers.
- Conduct payroll audits to ensure data accuracy and compliance with internal policies and external regulations.
- Review and validate payroll inputs, including salaries, benefits, allowances, and deductions.
- Collaborate with HR and finance teams to ensure accurate employee data management and seamless payroll integration.
- Provide guidance and support to junior payroll staff, resolving complex payroll-related issues and queries.
- Coordinate year-end payroll processes, including the production of annual P60s and P11D forms.
- Prepare and distribute employee payslips, P45s, and other statutory payroll documents.
- Handle payroll-related inquiries from employees, addressing concerns and providing accurate information.
- Conduct periodic payroll reconciliations and resolve any discrepancies or errors.
- Liaise with external auditors and government agencies for payroll-related audits and compliance checks.
- Stay updated with changes in payroll legislation, tax rates, and statutory requirements, and communicate updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in the evaluation and implementation of payroll system upgrades or enhancements.
- Proven experience as a Senior Payroll Administrator or similar role, with a focus on UK payroll.
- In-depth knowledge of UK payroll processes, tax regulations, and compliance requirements.
- Strong understanding of statutory deductions, including income tax, National Insurance contributions, and pension contributions.
- Familiarity with pension scheme administration and compliance requirements.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in processing complex payroll scenarios.
- Proficiency in using payroll software or systems for end-to-end payroll processing.
- Strong knowledge of HRIS systems and their integration with payroll systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to handle complex payroll calculations and reconciliations.
- Leadership and mentoring abilities to guide and support junior payroll staff.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to handle multiple payroll cycles and deadlines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively address employee inquiries and concerns related to payroll.
- Understanding of data protection regulations and confidentiality requirements in handling employee information.
- Proficient in using MS Office applications, particularly Excel, for data analysis and reporting.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Continuous learning mindset to stay updated with changes in UK payroll regulations and best practices.