This will act as a guide and you may have specific requirements that relate to your business and sector.
Below is a list of key duties we’d expect to see when putting together a job description for a Head of Payroll role:
- Ensure all HMRC, RTI and other Statutory reporting deadlines are met, providing the primary HMRC liaison on all PAYE and related matters.
- Ensure all new legislation and government requirements are met including existing and new company reporting requirements (eg Gender Pay Gap) and Holiday Pay calculation changes
- Employee Company Expenses processing including compliance and guidance on legislation.
- Managing regular reporting to HMRC including RTI files and calculation and agreement of PAYE payments.
- Ensuring all Tax Year-End procedures are run including P60, P11D & PSA processing.
- Providing support to Operations and Engineering on Payroll Matters
- Implementing detailed annual pay review changes that involve changes applied to the various elements of pay (basic, overtime, unsocial hours, holiday etc).
- Ensuring compliance with Working Time Directive and flagging to Senior Management potential breaches of regulations.
- Ensuring compliance and updating of SOPs for all payrolls and cross-trained staff on full payroll cycle from start to finish.
- TUPE transfer T&Cs’ setup, testing and implementation.
- Processing of CSA and AEO deductions.
- Participation and leadership on projects to continuously improve current systems; new elements set up, Auto Enrolment assessment and implementation and Trapeze (Time & Attendance)potential for widening the existing shared centre approach.
- Ensuring clear communication and interface with other departments and business units in meeting business requirements (MDs, HR, Operations, Engineering, Service Delivery).
Below is a list of key qualifications we’d expect to see when putting together a job description for a Head of Payroll role:
- CIPP Qualification.
- Advanced knowledge data analysis tools such as VLOOKUPS.
- Experience with managing a team and instituting change and continuous improvement plans.