In this episode “Talent Management & the Power of Conversations” of the HR L&D Podcast, I sit down with Hesketh Emden.
Hesketh is a multi-award-winning talent management professional to discuss his experience in developing employee cultures, his passion for promoting and training the power of conversations and of course, to understand more about his learning and development design and strategy implementation expertise.
Hesketh has successfully headed and set up a broad range of public and private sector Learning and Development functions, from Commercial Union during one of Europe’s largest mergers, to the Metropolitan Police. In 2011 he was recruited by NHS England to lead on talent management, identifying future leaders across London’s 70 NHS organisations.
As part of government health service reforms, in 2013 Hesketh was brought in to help create the brand-new NHS Property Services, a Limited Company owned by the Secretary of State. In this episode of the HR L&D Podcast, we discover how, despite 3200 staff being TUPE’d overnight, he managed to successfully implement a Talent Management structure that supported building a new organisation with a single culture where there had previously been 161 ways of doing things. Inspirational stuff!
Aside from Hesketh’s passion to promote and train ‘the power of conversations’, we also learn more about his experience at award ceremonies. Hesketh was a finalist in the CIPD People Management Award in 2012 – ‘Talent Attraction & Management’; was winner of the Charity Learning Awards in 2014 – for ‘Using e-learning to facilitate change’; Finalist of the PPMA Excellence in People Management Awards in 2015 for ‘Talent Management’ and winner again in the HR Excellence Awards 2017 – for ‘Best CSR Strategy’. Hesketh is very modest when it comes to his own achievements, but I know that our listeners will be keen to find out more about the man behind the accolades.
In this “Talent Management & the Power of Conversations” HR L&D Podcast episode, we discover:
- Hesketh’s work concerning “the power of conversations” and how this work has evolved
- The biggest challenges to making this type of training ‘mainstream’
- The tools and processes Hesketh has used to develop successful large-scale talent management programmes
- His experience in aligning 161 organisations into one single vision and culture following a 3200 employee TUPE
- How Hesketh’s work helped contribute to £5m a year in productivity savings for the NHS!
- Practical steps for you to immediately implement so you too can successfully develop positive communications
- We learn about his passion for supporting a Substance Misuse Charity and his work concerning the “Lazarus drug”
- Hesketh’s view on the impact that technology is having on communications within organisations?
- Why every organization should consider entering an industry award.
- The main challenges currently affecting Talent Management right now
- The key things L&D & HR professionals should be doing now to prioritise and develop talent in their organisations
- The reason why all L&D, HR and Talent professionals should embrace communications training?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Soundcloud | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
To find out more about the companies featured in this episode of the HR L&D podcast:
- To contact Heskth, visit LinkedIn and reach out to him directly: https://www.linkedin.com/in/heskethemden/
- Click the link to find out more about Think Learning
- Clink the link to find out more about Totara Learn
- Click the link find out more about JGA HR Recruitment Services
This HR L&D Podcast is sponsored by Think Learning who empower organisations to create safer and better places to work through the implementation of Totara Learn, a fully featured Learning Management System. Contact email@example.com to find out more (please quote the HR L&D Podcast when you make contact)
The HR L&D Podcast that requires your support for it to survive. It is a niche podcast created for a specialist audience, so if you like the show, please subscribe to it, review it and share it with as many of your HR or L&D colleagues as possible.
If you wish to get involved with HR L&D Podcast or indeed if you would like to suggest a topic or tell us what you think about it, please get in touch!
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
In the meantime, if you have any HR or L&D recruitment requirements that JGA HR Recruitment Services can assist with, please do reach out to me at Nick@jgarecruitment.com. We are specialist HR recruiters with over 100 years of expert HR recruitment expertise. Quote “The HR L&D Podcast” to receive a 20% discount on all Terms of business.
You can also download free HR whitepapers and a wealth of HR articles on our website. Find out more by visiting us at jamesgray.wpengine.com.
Contact us today to find out more.
Tel: 01727 800 377.